Middle Finger Ministry


 
I’m tutoring a very sweet girl who had a very sour attitude during our last tutoring session. She didn’t feel like learning or listening and I didn’t feel like dealing with her or her attitude. My patience was running low – real low. I stopped trying to teach and we prayed.  Before the end of our prayer, I opened my eyes, looked up and the sweet girl’s middle finder was staring me dead in my face. GASP! I can’t begin to tell you the number of thoughts that immediately raced through my mind. She wasn’t able to lie about what she did because I caught her in the act. I questioned her actions and she fully admitted her wrong. 

  I was so angry, I silently prayed again asking God how to handle my anger and her actions. I was led to talk about the Jesus we were praying to and the reason he died on the cross for us. She listened intensely - I had her full attention. I found out she had never seen a picture of Jesus on the cross, so I purposely searched the Internet for the bloodiest portrayal of Jesus I could find. She looked at the picture and was in shock. Well, we were even because I was in shock when I saw her middle finger in my face. Later that evening, I thought about Jesus on the cross saying, “Father forgive them for they know not what they do.” I thought about the little girl and said the same prayer for her. I then asked for forgiveness for myself for wanting to judge her and break her middle finger. I’m reminded once again - it doesn’t matter what it looks like or how bad it seems, if I stay focused on God, He can use ALL things for His glory and my good – ALL things…even the middle finger.