Steelers vs Bible


My pastor preached from the book of Haggai yesterday, which is the second shortest book in the Old Testament. Sunday evening, while watching football, I decided to read the two very short chapters of Haggai. I sat with my Bible open while cheering for the Pittsburg Steelers. I decided to read the introduction to Haggai first, to get a better understanding. I chuckled as I read how priorities and values are reflected by how we spend our time. Hmmm…my Bible was running a close second to the Steelers. It was a good game, but so was the book of Haggai. I kept reading and cheering, and guess what? The Steelers lost. I watched the post-game show, and a few players from the winning team, the Baltimore Ravens, were interviewed. One player, Ray Lewis, mentioned telling his team the night before the game, to get in position to receive God’s blessings. Ray Lewis’ statement pricked my heart. I wondered if I could be in position to hear from God while watching television. 
I really didn’t see anything wrong with reading my Bible while watching the game; I didn’t have to be reading it at all! It really wasn’t about the timing of my reading, but about the value I placed on God’s Word at that particular moment. I don’t ever want to get so comfortable with God or His Word that I depreciate the amazing significance to my life. God already has to compete with the busyness of my day, so why invite competition? Just as I want my husband’s and sons’ undivided attention when I talk to them, God would like my undivided attention every now and then also. Priorities need to be checked. What’s important in our life? Where we spend our time and money will give us a clue. I not only need to get in position, I need to stay in position to hear and receive from God! Thank you, Pastor. Thank you, Haggai, and thank you Ray Lewis! Happy Monday and let's get in position!