Rest!

I haven’t used an alarm clock in over ten years and awake between 4:30 and 5:00 most mornings. I was shocked when I awoke Sunday morning after 11 o’clock. I can’t remember the last time I slept that late without being disturbed. After realizing I still had my bodily functions and was mentally okay, I noticed something else that surprised me. I felt very different. I felt younger. My mind was clearer. I was at complete peace.

As I sat down to enjoy a bowl of oatmeal with raisins, I was reminded why I felt so differently. I got some rest! My mind and body was renewed and rejuvenated.  I’ve always been a believer of getting the proper rest, and now I know that I know…rest is a secret weapon to living life to the fullest. Rest is the secret to dealing with the battles and bumps of life. Mentally, spiritually, and emotionally…rest is the answer. I’m not the only one saying this, Jesus said it too! If He said it, it’s got to be true!

As I basked in my newness, I considered the benefits of spiritual rest in Jesus. Resting in Jesus would give me more mental space and energy. If I cast my cares on Him like He told me to, I would have more mental space to enjoy the abundant life, unspeakable joy, and perfect peace God promised me. Rest!  I know what the busy woman reading this is saying…”When do I have time to rest?” Well, you either make time to rest or end up resting in a hospital bed or six feet under because you’ve run yourself in the ground – literally. Oops! Did I go there? Maybe I got too much rest!