Press Through!

 Firstborn was sick with a stomach virus that left him lifeless for a few days.  On the third day of his virus, I encouraged him to get up and fight his illness. Also on that third day, Firstborn’s football coach called to check on him. While listening to his coach speak, I thought about athletes who play with broken bones, pain, and high fever.  Athlete or not, we all meet adversity and learning to press through our uncomfortable circumstances is the only way we move forward.  I boldly explained pressing through pain to Firstborn and the very next day, I was faced with my own test of pressing through

 I decided to cut the grass, so full of energy, I tackled the back yard and then moved to the front yard. Halfway through the front, I was exhausted and wanted to stop.  I immediately remembered my bold, encouraging words to Firstborn. Sigh… I knew I needed to practice what I preached.  Needless to say, I pressed through my fatigue and the heat and finished the yard.  

Grapes are pressed to get the sweet juices out of them.  We too, must be pressed to get the best out of us.  If grapes had a voice, I’m sure they’d scream from the pain of the press, but the press is necessary.  The same is true for us. In order for God to get the optimum performance out of us, we must endure painful press positions.  Firstborn’s coach had no idea his phone call would offer a life lesson on pressing through adversity, but that’s what a good coach does – gets the best out of his players.  The fourth day, Firstborn was still weak, but he went to practice and pressed through. When he got home, he asked who cut the yard. I smiled and said, “Your Mama pressed through and cut it.”

If you find yourself in an uncomfortable press position, pray to press through!