No Parent Pressure!


   Secondborn will be joining Firstborn in the public school world this morning. Yes, my formal homeschooling days have ended. I say formal because as a mother, the teaching and training never ends. Not only is today the first day of school, but also the first day of new trials, tests, and temptations for the boys. All school aged children are faced with difficult decisions that seem simple to adults. Just say no!  Confusing choices will fill their minds and cloud their thinking. I must trust the training both boys have been given – not academics, but character, morals, and values. I learned from Firstborn’s first year of public school to not set any expectations, however, I must admit; I do have one – just one. I will expect them to act like children. This realistic expectation will prepare me for…whatever. Expecting the boys to act like mature adults is my desire, but I’d be deceiving myself to think they would act like anyone besides who they are – children. My simple expectation does not excuse them from discipline, but excuses them from constant parent pressure. Peer pressure is more than enough! Children are bound to do some foolish things, so it shouldn’t surprise us. After all, they are children, right? Our children will definitely have some experiences this new school year, but it’s the mother’s reaction to the experiences that will determine their failure or success.

May you have a peaceful and productive new school year!

Proverbs 22:15 (NKJV)
Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; the rod of correction will drive it far from him.